ESG BY STAMDATA – A NEW DATA SERVICE
A MARKET AND ACADEMIC DRIVEN PROJECT
The ESG Data by Stamdata service is a market driven initiative started up in the beginning of 2022. With a lot of respect for the broad topic of ESG, Stamdata was challenged by existing customers on building out a golden source and infrastructure for Nordic ESG data, starting with focus on the Norwegian market. The challenge led to Stamdata gathering a working group made up by 12 of Norway’s leading asset managers, who would help contribute to a master thesis project at the BI- Business School of Norway, by sharing their pains and gains relating to ESG-data and SFDR-reporting compliance. The students’ objective was to develop and test an ESG-data value proposition for a new Stamdata service idea using best practice innovation theory, and by building deep knowledge of asset managers’ needs and challenges using open innovation methodology. The project findings lay the foundation for the new ESG Data by Stamdata service, which aims to solve for local needs and requirements our customers face (following the postponed implementation of the European Single Access Point initiative, scheduled to be gradually implemented, starting 2027).
Being experts in data and data management, Stamdata released its ESG by Stamdata service MVP (most viable product) in September 2022 covering over 1050 bond and equity issuers in the Norwegian market. This number included companies with listed or unlisted bonds as well as listed equities. Customers require raw company reported data were available, and where there is no data to source, they need an industry or sector view with statistics and metrics to help analyze, measure and report on certain exposures to companies. In addition, it is critical the provider of such a service can work two/three-ways, contributing to development of the local market and the availability of reported ESG data by companies. Stamdata is well placed to take on such a task, especially as the company in addition to the existing Stamdata customer base, can leverage the know-how of Nordic Trustee Group and its business relationships with just about 1,000 companies with issued bonds in the market.
The ESG data provided by Stamdata is continuously updated and delivered to customers through both web, feed and API for ease of use and ingestion into internal databases and systems with the end customer.
Transparency is key when providing ESG data, hence Stamdata offers both raw and derived data. Raw data is made up by company reported data whilst derived data can be either calculated PAI (Principle Adverse Impact) indicators, “hybrid data”, industry averages based on NACE sector classification, or industry data sourced from official public sources.
WHAT YOU AS A CUSTOMER WILL RECEIVE
- Raw ESG data (ESG Factors) reported directly from the companies we cover. In the Norwegian market the universe is made up by more than 1000 companies
- Hybrid data, which is derived industry averages. This is provided for all industry sectors non-dependent of if the company is reporting raw ESG data points or not.
- Industry data, is data sourced from public resources such as Statistics Norway, other similar and relevant official registers, or equivalent organizations in other jurisdictions
- Historic Performance Data, is ESG data populated all the way back to 2018 (for companies any company reported ESG data in the period)
- Annually reported raw ESG data per company with 4 years of history (2018-2022) which will continuously update as coming years’ reporting is published by companies, with each company mapped to the correct industry sector using NACE industry classification scheme
- Calculated PAIs with the underlying data and formulas (Mandatory PAIs + some voluntary PAIs)
- Industry averages based on reported data using NACE industry classification scheme
- Industry data sourced from public registers
- Historic records (2018-2021)
- Feed/API – Choose between secured FTP data and REST API sourcing depending on what suits your need
- Web – ESG data will be available via Stamdata.com in January 2023
RELEVANT LINKSDownload product sheet